What is Use and Occupancy Inspection in PA?

In this video, Rob explains what a use and occupancy inspection is and why you need one to sell your home. 

Most Pennsylvania townships require sellers to obtain a use and occupancy inspection. Here’s what you need to know about getting a use and occupancy inspection in Pennsylvania. 

What is a Use and Occupancy Inspection?

A use and occupancy inspection is a safety check conducted by the township before a home is sold. If you are selling your home, it’s important to know what items may be on the inspection so you can budget for the repairs. Use and occupancy inspection checklists vary by township, so check with the local government in your area to get a specific list.

What is Typically Listed on a Use and Occupancy Inspection? 

The items inspected for use and occupancy depend on where you live, and some townships don’t require them. You can expect to see items on the list that pertain to the safety and general function of your home. 

On the exterior of the home, the inspector will check sidewalks and curbs, the foundation, rubbish, broken windows, house numbers, high grass and weeds, sheds, GFCIs, the driveway, outdoor lights, gutters, and downspouts. 

Interior items include smoke alarms, handrails, ceilings, carbon monoxide detectors, heating, water supply, fire extinguishers, safe stairs, exits, walls, flooring, and GFCIs. 

How Much Does a Use and Occupancy Inspection Cost? 

The seller typically pays a fee of $100 for a use and occupancy inspection. Repairs needed after the inspection can add up quickly, with damaged sidewalks and curbs being among the most expensive to fix. 

What Happens if the Home Doesn’t Pass Inspection?

Previously, a failed use and occupancy inspection could stop the sale of your home. New rules state that you can obtain a temporary use and occupancy permit and continue with the sale as long as you make the repairs within twelve months. 

Contact the Rob Lawrence Team for Information

If you need information regarding use and occupancy inspections in your area, feel free to reach out to us. We are here to help you meet your real estate goals, and we would be happy to answer your questions about use and occupancy inspections.


Post a Comment